Sunday, March 23, 2014

Week 9 Responses



Week 9: Burnt Toast
-That's so cool that your aunt worked in a one room school house! I would be interested in hearing about her thoughts and experiences. I really can't imagine what that would be like.
-You talked about pulling certain students outside your classroom. I have one 5th grader that I feel like I'm pulling him aside almost every day. We have a good relationship, but he is just very lazy (I'm still trying to come up with a less crippling label). He just won't work unless you "hold his hand". Do you have any students like this? If so, have you found any strategies that work?
And good luck persuading your district to alter their curriculum!

Week 9: Adair
-I have had many similar conversations about teaching. I am starting to think that most people lack understanding or have misconceptions about education. As a result, they don't really know how to seem interested. I once told someone that I help raise 400 kids. This brought on some fresh questions. I can't get too annoyed though, because I know very little about many others' careers.
-This is my first year, and I'm already fed up with the Santa queries. "Billy says Santa isn't real! Is that true?" I began telling kids that everyone believes differently and it's up to each individual to figure out their own beliefs. The first time I said this, I added "some people don't believe Jesus is real." Hannibal is a very religious community and this astonished the kids. I can't decide if I was a helpful truth or if I should just shut up sometimes...
-Do you feel like your students understood the survey or actually put effort into it? I feel like the results never help me learn how to improve either. It's always so much more helpful to talk to them about it, but who has time for that? I've thought about just putting a comment box outside my room and asking students to give me feedback when they choose, but I'm afraid the "students from hell" will just use it to cause trouble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment