Monday, April 14, 2014

Just for Fun. :)

I am very excited to share that I just turned my art hallway into an art museum, with student representations! Here is a Prezi with images http://prezi.com/odip32_fyg87/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy

I did this Unit with 3rd & 4th grade. I am incredibly pleased with how it went. It may just be my favorite lesson this year. I am fortunate enough to have access to student Chrome books at my school. Since there are no museum around here, I really wanted to have my students explore an art museum online. I didn't just want to stop at the museum though, because I did not think they would get everything out of it they could. So, below is a brief overview of my unit. I really hope I can do this again next year!

Virtual Art Museum Unit
 Day 1: students individually explored the Museum of Modern in New York's virtual museum. http://www.moma.org/interactives/destination/ They filled out a fact sheet on 2-4 pieces and they rated these pieces.

Day 2: based off of the student's ratings for the art work, I put them into groups of 3 or 4. They assigned each team member a role. I gave each group a colored copy of their piece and gave them a group booklet that obtained questions they would work together to answer. On Day 2 , the students focused on questions about observation, analysis, critique, & personal interpretation.

Day 3: Chrome books again. The groups worked together to research information about there work and artists. We used kid friendly search engines (sweetsearch.com & kidrex.org). They were trying to find: the movement, where it was made, it's price value, what the artist is famous for, and the meaning behind the piece. (all questions in the group booklets.) This was the most difficult part of this unit, and many groups did not find more than a couple answers, but it did lead them to learn more about the artists. Plus it was a great experience!

Day 4 & 5: Each group worked as a team to recreate their piece. I filled a table with various supplies and let them choose what materials they used. I had some requests for specific materials and happily complied if I had them. I love how creative they all were! They really seemed to enjoy working as a team (with the exception of a few students). Students rarely asked for my help.

Day 6: Each group showed off their creation next to the original displayed on the Smart Board. They gave mini presentations (about 7 minutes each) relaying the information they had written down in their group booklets. I love how this lesson continually allowed them the chance to teach each other. Plus, I heard my students praising and encouraging each other more during this one unit than the rest of the year combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment