Monday, April 21, 2014

Week 12 Responses



Week 12: Adair
Ok, I feel like a failure as an art teacher but I had to look up what Zentangles were. I've seen them, but I didn't know the name. Thank you for teaching me something new! :) Did any of your students know what they were?

I agree with you, that it may have been helpful to make them use pen. Next time, you could maybe have them practice on a small sheet with pencil and then use pen on their actual project. Side note: I usually have my students start with pencil in case they mess up, but they still beg me to let them have a new sheet, because "It doesn't erase everything. You can still see my mistake." Do you ever have this problem? Any suggestions for me?

I also have very large 5th grade classes (26 in each). On top of their vast numbers, they are a particularly challenging bunch (have been since Kindergarten, I am told). I am constantly struggling and altering my approach.  Here are a couple things you could try that have worked for me for a little while.  
1. Table points: When I noticed everyone at a table following the expectations, I gave them a tally, and the winning table got candy at the end.
2. Strike 3 = silent art: when they get too loud, I put up a strike. After 3 strikes, we go to silent art and I turn on music. I used to play Vitamin String Quarter, but they would continue to talk. Now, I play songs with words like: Let it Go from Frozen, Happy by Pharrell Williams, Everything is Awesome from the Lego Movie, Shine Your Way from Croods, etc. I found that playing music they enjoy really persuades them to remain quiet. However, this is beginning to lose its appeal as well.
Do you have any strategies I could try out?
 

Week 12: Ginia
I teach at Mark Twain Elementary in Hannibal! Would you care if I shared your lesson idea with the classroom teachers? It'd be a great way to connect the content with the students' lives. 

The classroom was not silent (it shouldn't be during this lesson) A-men to that! I'm glad that you didn't see the misbehaviors you expected to see. Do you think this could be a result from your using a more students centered approach? Do you think you'll try using this approach again? It sounds like they enjoyed themselves. 

Your "selfie" remark inspired me with an idea. It might be fun to have them dress up and reenact the images you showed. Then, they could take a picture of themselves to help prompt their writing. Sorry, we art teachers are constantly thinking in visuals. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment