Saturday, April 12, 2014

Week 11



How did it go?
This lesson was great! I used a Prezi I had made:
After the Starry Night slide, I showed the students this image:

They were delighted and wanted to do it again and again. When we got to the part about his death, I told them that Van Gogh did not become famous until after his death. The positives they discussed were:
+ After he died, people probably feel bad that they missed out on talking to him.
+ Maybe it was because people were jealous of him.
+ Since he was mentally ill, it may have been good that he was not famous, because then no one would bug him and make him feel more uncomfortable or scared.
+ He could imagine what it was like to be famous and he could imagine it being better than it really is.
+ He could look down from heaven and see how he really impacted people.
+ His art might have looked different and like everyone else's if he was famous before he died.
+ He didn't act better than other people.
+ If he was famous, he might not have created so many paintings, because he would have spent more time with other people.
The negatives they discussed were:
- Since no one realized how good he was, they missed out more than he did.
- He missed out on the feeling artists get when people enjoy their work.
- It probably made people feel guilty after he died.
- He didn't get the fame or the money he deserved.
- He didn't have the money he needed to get the medical help he needed.
- He was probably lonely.
Interesting:
· He might have created more paintings if he had gotten the help he needed and lived longer.
· We would probably know about his thoughts if he were famous, because people would have interviewed him.
· He might not have created Starry Night if he were famous, because he may have gone to a different hospital than St. Remy's.
· If he had sold more paintings, he would have had more money for art supplies. They wondered how this could have changed his work.
· Since his life would have been less lonely, he would probably have fewer paintings and he would most likely have created very different works. There may have been more paintings about other people and less about his own life.

After our lesson, the kids played a review game on the Smart Board. They threw a koosh ball at a bubble and a review question popped up. If they answered correctly, they had a chance to try and "pin the ear" on Van Gogh. I was very pleased by how much they remembered!

What did you learn?
During the class before our Van Gogh lesson, I had told my 3rd graders that we would be playing "Pin the ear on Van Gogh" next time. When they came in, they were all excited and asking, "are we still pinning the ear on Van Gogh?" I told them that we would play that at the end as a review, after we learned about Van Gogh. I explained, that in the presentation certain words were bolded or had different colors. I told them these were important things they needed to try and remember in order to answer the questions correctly and have a chance to pin the ear. The fact that I told my students what was important to remember, really helped my lesson and helped the students remember these facts. I should have been doing this all year! It is important to verbally communicate with students what you are intending them to take away from your lessons.

What would you do differently?
Since they were all looking forward to the review, I rushed through the lesson. I found myself getting irritated when students were talking about what they saw. In the past, we have always taken time to talk about the artists work: What do you see? How do you feel? What do you think this means? etc. My students are now programmed to answer these questions, but this time I was not encouraging them to share their insights for time's sake. Even with my inconsideration and swift introduction, we still did not have enough time to finish the game and will be completing our review next class. Next time, I will allow the lesson to be interrupted by my students insights and wants.

Why did it work or not work?
Like I said in what I learned, it worked that I frontloaded the students with what they should focus on. This worked very well! What did not work? During the presentation, it was the same group of students answering the questions. During review these students excelled, but the quiet ones needed some help. In the future, I will work harder on making sure all of my students understand the material. I would like to write names on popsicle sticks and pull out random students to answer.

Feel free to "steal" my Prezi, image, and Smart Board review! I couldn't figure out how to add my review, but I can e-mail the Smart Notebook to you if you give me your e-mail. I think it's important we work together to help each other out and save time. :)

4 comments:

  1. Dear Katie-

    What did you learn about your students' perceptions and development based on your implementation of PMI? How did using PMI in this lesson helped reinforce the big ideas of the artist study?

    An observation I wanted to share with you is that your PMI notes show that studying Van Gogh affected your students on the social-emotional level. They demonstrated deep empathy and also abstract thinking. How could you cater to this strength in your students in future lessons - highlight how the social-emotional experiences of famous artists relate to their own lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just wrote a really lovely long response and "thank you blogger".... its gone. UGH. SO heres the summarized version!

    As Beth points out, these kids are really engaging on multiple levels and thinking holistically. AWESOME.

    Did the quiet ones play the game at the end? Were they able to recall the knowledge? Be interesting to have them play first as a check in.

    Although the popsicle stick idea is a good way to even the playing field, I find it sometimes really frustrates the enthusiastic kiddos. Ill randomly call on quiet kids as I observe what they are up to in a class discussion, often they are thinking very deeply but hesitant to offer up a response (that ole... is this right or good thing goin on). Its rather like fishing, reel them in a little, then let the line out, reel them in some more, let the line out a little and so on. Over time they get the hang of it and feel more confident. You seem to have a really good connection to your students, I am certain what ever you do will be what works best for all of you :)

    Wonderful Lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so mesmerized by your lesson that I completely forgot this was an assignment post! I loved this so much! Great interactive bit and loved the frontloading. Thanks for sharing Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will so steal your prezi and could you send me that smart board game adairstokan@gmail.com.
    I love the comment: Since his life would have been less lonely, he would probably have fewer paintings and he would most likely have created very different works. There may have been more paintings about other people and less about his own life.
    So insightful! Do you teach VTS or have you taken Mary Franco's class? You said your students have become programmed to answer questions a particular way. I feel VTS helps students break way from that, I try to phrase questions in all lessons to be more open ended to allow students more freedom in answering. I also paraphrase every students answer so they know I'm listening and they can rehear what they said and rethink about it.

    ReplyDelete