Monday, April 21, 2014

Week 12 - Video 2 - Van Gogh Introduction

Lesson: 3rd Grade - Van Gogh (explained in week 10)
*I recorded a different class than the one I reflected on in the previous assignment. This was the last class to do it. So, I already had most of the kinks worked out.
Day 1: Prezi and Smart Board review game

http://prezi.com/qgzb5mftaca7/vincent-van-gogh/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy (click to view)
Day 2: Finish review while they color a Van Gogh coloring sheet. Then, start drawing the painting they want to recreate
Day 3&4: Use thick Paint, glue, and fork to paint one area at a time (Use warm or cool colors in foreground & reverse in background)

Pre-viewing Thoughts: I recorded my 3rd grade introduction to the Van Gogh project. I thought this lesson went very well. The students were very talkative, but I believe this is because they were very interested in the lesson and it was during MAP testing. A few of them sat quietly, almost in a zombie mode, but they seemed to listening and were able to answer their review questions. They were probably just tired from testing. During the review, almost all of the students were able to answer their question. They really enjoyed the Smart Board game, but the ones not participating were a bit loud.

Post-viewing Observations: The students were even more talkative than I remembered. They kept interrupting each other. I noticed that the students I remembered being zoned-out actually did participate in some discussion and they were very interested in the YouTube clips we watched. Throughout the lesson, there was a constant amount of hands shooting up and amazement being verbalized.
- I was surprised by.... certain reactions different students had. Some thought the bedroom video was cool and some thought it was creepy. Also, the students would read ahead of where our discussion was and comment, "Whoa he painted 900 paintings!" We had an interesting discussion on mental illness and one girl even thought her dad had one. The students wanted to view the Starry Night Optical Illusion again, and they still acted surprised the second time. They all read Van Gogh's quote with me. Lastly, I asked them how Van Gogh's work was different from other artists and one girl answered by explaining what all the other table artists' paint compared to Van Gogh's work. This truly delighted me. All my hard work has made an impression!

Goals: Many of my goals were met.
1. the students were questioning and wanting to know more.
2. I included student voice by having them read the information not me.
3. I continually related the lesson to their lives. For example, we talked about how Van Gogh taught himself how to paint and asked them if they had taught themselves how to do anything. One boy said he taught himself how to play video games. I explained that they were very capable of teaching themselves almost anything.
4. I provided the students with their objectives by telling them what they needed to focus on and remember. I also repeated important information.
5. When students rudely yelled out, I made sure to call on the ones raising their hands. 6. I ensured student engagement by occasionally asking a question then calling on a person whose hand was not raised.
6. I questioned students and helped them make a connection to this lesson and a previous lesson on warm and cool colors.
7. When students were talking about Van Gogh's paintings, I gave encouraging "ahhs" and "mmhmms", but did not voice my own opinion. This really helps me assess their thinking.

Needs Work: The review went very well and almost all the students could answer questions without help. At first, they were all very quiet and focused on the person at the Smart Board, but they eventually got tired of waiting and started to misbehave. I decided that the rest of class needed something to keep them occupied. During the lesson I recorded, we only had time for six students to answer a question and "pin the ear." In the next class, when I was letting them finish, I let all the students pick out a coloring page of one of Van Gogh's paintings. They colored it when it was not their turn. This really helped reduce behavior issues and was a great front loader for their next step when they would be recreating a Van Gogh piece or their own choosing.

What was getting in the way?: The lesson was slowed down on account of the students disrespect towards each other. They were so still crazy (I blame it on MAP) that they would shout out or interrupt each other and I had to continually remind them to be considerate. Also, the review was great, but the students behavior started to get in the way. The second day of review went much better.

I am 3rd grader, "Kiki"(all names changed): Earlier, Miss Amos let us vote on what table artists we wanted to learn about next. I chose Van Gogh, because I want to know why he cut off his ear. Then, we got to use the Chrome books to go to an art museum. This museum had Starry Night in it! I ended up being in the group that got to research this painting and artist. Then, we worked together to recreate it. It was a lot of fun working with my friends to make Starry Night, but we had a lot of trouble finding information about this piece. I am curious to know the answers to the questions we couldn't answer... Also, I wonder what project we'll do.
- Wow this video about the bedroom being made is pretty neat!
- Oooo cool, I can read ahead and know the correct answers when Miss Amos asks them! Wait, what is a mental illness? ... He didn't know what he was doing.... "Miss Amos, does that mean he didn't know he was painting??" Oh... he was only crazy some of the time. Elsa thinks her dad is messed up in the head? My dad is probably sick too.
- He taught himself how to paint? I wonder if I could teach myself and my friends how to do something cool.
- I like that painting of the chair! Hmmm.. -looks around at tables- those other artists are very different than Van Gogh. It looks like he always painted what he saw. That was really hard to do when we drew our own still lives. But he probably liked it more, because he got to use color unlike we did. I wonder if he used an eraser... Probably not. Miss Amos said we couldn't use them because that's what real artist do and Van Gogh was definitely a great artist even if no one thought that when we was alive.
- I wish I could go to Van Gogh's museum! Maybe if I teach my mom about Van Gogh she'll want to take me.
   - Review: We get to throw a ball at the Smart Board and our whole class will be watching just me? Sweeeeet! Good job George!... and Anna... and Jasper. Ok is it my turn yet?! Finally! What was Van Gogh's first painting? Oooo, it was that colorful one, "The Red Vineyard!" That's right, I'm a start student. Hehe it's dark, this is so much fun! Haha! His ear ended up on his nose. Well that was cool, but what am I supposed to do now....? "Hey Elsa, what'd you do this weekend?" ........................ Oh, Miss Amos seems a little annoyed. My class was being bad, again! Why is it so hard for them to follow the rules? Oh wait, I was not listening either... but I'm usually always being a leader. I was just.... bored! Ok focus. We get to pick whatever Van Gogh painting we want and paint it using glue?? Hmm, this example feels awesome! What painting should I copy?
   - At Recess: "Hey Libby (3rd grader from another class)! Did you guys learn about Van Gogh in art yesterday? That part where we stared at the spiral and it made the sky move was pretty awesome, huh?..... Yeah, I already made Starry Night with my group. So, this time I want to paint that bedroom picture. Maybe I could put my own bead spread in it! I'm going to teach my mom about Van Gogh when I get home. Maybe she'll agree with me that dad has a mental illness. Tehe."  

2 comments:

  1. Katie-

    I am curious, about how many hours do you think you put in creating and revising this lesson? It seems like a really good lesson that you are enthusiastic about.

    I like how you used fun activities as part of your instructional activities. Play is how kids "work." Relating certain character traits of the artist to student's behaviors was also pretty slick. The students will connect with the artist more once they connect those dots. Giving the coloring sheet to work on while other students were reviewing also helps engage the kinesthetic learners during the review time. The students can get quiet, listen and think while they coloring safe zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good question! Honestly, I spent a long time on it. For the MU Teaching Fellowship, I have to do my own action research project. My questions is: What happens when I integrate technology in my 3rd grade curriculum? I spent so much time on this lesson, because it will be a big piece of my research and data analysis. Trust me, not all my lessons are so time consuming.

      Delete