Sunday, April 6, 2014

Week 10 Responses



Week 9: Response to Adair's comment
He is in 5th grade. He came in one time to show me a tool they can use in chrome books and he did seem to be a little less troublesome the next class. I don't think he'd want to give up lunch with his peers. It wouldn't be "cool", but I think you're right. I need to try to relate to him more outside of school. Thank you.

As for your student, I have a kid with autism with similar problems. He has trouble thinking about new projects. I talked to our councilor about it, and she now "front loads" him. When we start a new lesson, she talks to him that morning and explains the lesson and works with him through his thought process. This has shown improvement. Does he work with any special teachers that would be willing to do this for you? Also, I've noticed that he dislikes getting his hands messy. When we use glue, I give him a paintbrush. Talk to specialized teachers about how you should differentiate for this student to help him become more comfortable. I think their anger is their defense.

Week 10: Ginia
I actually felt like the text provided many strategies for change. I understand that it can be difficult to take the time to incorporate questioning when there are so many other areas we are required to teach. I know you don't teach art, and my good friend who teaches 3rd grade is very frustrated with the amount they have to fit in and the lack of "catch up" time now provided. I'm an amazed by how well she does incorporate questioning. She always finds ways to build community and take time for outside lessons. She realizes that it is important to follow the curriculum, but she also feels strongly about preparing her students for life in general. Many times her lessons relate back to the content. Think about the rock situation for a minute, how could you use this rock to question & tech students about a particular standard they have? I completely understand that it's not always easy to give up instructional time, but think about how you can use these strategies to encourage questioning in ways that contribute to your curriculum. Are there any other language arts teachers you could bounce ideas off of? I feel that talking about issues with other teachers is always more helpful than attempting to work alone.
 

Your lesson is great! It will most definitely engage these twenty-first century learners. Do you have the means to incorporate technology use into the lesson as well? It'd be fun to use technology while exploring it! Just a thought. 

Outside question: I recently had an interview with a middle school, but I did not get the job. I have no experience in middle school. I feel like my inexperience hurt me. I want to be more prepared if I get another middle school interview. Do you have any advice for me? How can I be honest about my experience but ensure them that I CAN do it? What do they usually look for in middle school teachers? Any other thoughts? I'd REALLY appreciate any insight you have. :) 

Week 10: SpaceTime Cat
" Do standardized tests gauge critical thinking?" Like all educators, I question SO many things about standardized test myself! Do they really show accurate representations of the students? How much hindrance does the stress cause them? What can we do to change the norm and advocate for a more beneficial evaluation process?!?! What would work better? It makes me want to round up teachers, make signs, and go protest. lol. 

" How many parents can entertain their children's questioning by validating instead of going bonkers?" And how can we encourage parents to care more? It saddens me how "lazy" many of today's parents are. I've joked that people should have to take a standardized child psychology test before they are allowed to reproduce.  

Great overview of the chapter! I'm curious to know what strategies do you think you would use in your own classroom and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment